Allergen-Free Mince Pies
This allergen-free mince pie recipe will make a deliciously crisp pastry. It won’t be soft like the manufactured ones! Making the pastry is surprisingly easy as well. Be sure to keep the ingredients cool though – you can always put them in the freezer temporarily beforehand if needed. If your household has a severe nut allergy, you can always use jam instead of mincemeat as it can be tough to find a jar of mincemeat that doesn’t warn it ‘may contain traces of nuts’.
- 170g gluten-free plain flour, with extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 85g dairy-free sunflower spread
- Cold water
- Vegetarian mincemeat, to fill (check for nut traces!)
- Put the flour and sunflower spread in a food processor (or blender) and pulse quickly, until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, and then stir in the sugar. Add a teaspoon of cold water and begin to bring the pastry together into a ball with your hands. You’ll probably need somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of cold water to bring it together well. It shouldn’t be sticky. Use as little water as possible to give it a short texture.
- Next, dust a surface with your gluten-free flour and roll the pastry out on a flat surface. Then cut into circles using a 6cm (2½ inch) cutter. You’ll also want to cut out smaller circles (or stars!) for lids to use later.
- Lift the pastry discs up carefully using a slice and place them into a muffin tray. Gently push them to shape with your fingers. Chill them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Then preheat the oven to gas mark 7 (220°C/200ºC fan).
- Bake the pastry cases in the oven for roughly 10 minutes until they’re very lightly golden and sandy in texture.
- Now for the filling. Generously fill the pastry cases with a teaspoon of mincemeat each. Then pop a pastry lid or star shape on top. Put them back in the oven for a few minutes until the mincemeat starts to gently bubble or the pastry lid is lightly golden.
- Take the tray out of the oven and transfer the mince pies over to a wire rack. Let them cool fully before serving.